Decrease in water level brings stone inscription to fore again

Decrease in water level brings stone inscription to fore again

A stone inscription believed to be of the period of 17th century has been found in River Cauvery at T Narsipura in the district.

According to the locals and retired employee of the department of Archaeology, Nanjaiah, the stone goes by the local name ‘rudrapada’. It is precisely found in the middle of Agastheswara and Bhiksheshwara temples.

On top of the stone, carvings of ‘Shivalinga’ and ‘Pada’ (foot) and a hole can also be seen, giving credence to another belief that, there could be a ‘Basavana Kamba’ (pillar) next to it.

The hole is the only remaining part of it. The inscription could have been dedicated by Somaiah and Shidyeya of Triyambakapura during ‘Vilamba Samvatsara’ in 1658.

According to the director of Archaeology, Museums and Heritage R Gopal, who visited the site along with epigraphist H M Nagaraj Rao, the inscription can be seen whenever the water level in the river subsides.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry