Child dies as teacher detains him at school after snakebite

Bitten in the kitchen during midday meal

Alleged carelessness of a teacher claimed the life of a child in Uttar Pradesh’s Barabanki district, about 40 kilometers from here.

A six year old boy, who had been bitten by a deadly snake, died allegedly because of the delay in getting him to the hospital, as the teacher of the primary school in which he was a student, refused him permission to leave.

The tragic incident occurred at a primary school during the distribution of the midday meal on Saturday.

According to the reports, six year old Ravi had gone to the kitchen to fetch something when he was bitten by a snake in his right toe.

Ravi’s elder sister, who was also a student at the school, informed the teacher when she saw blood oozing.

The teacher neither took any step to wash the wound nor informed his parents.

On the contrary, the teacher, the girl alleged, scolded her when she told him that the kid’s condition was not good and sought permission to go home. The teacher allowed her to take the child home only after his condition worsened.

The parents rushed him to a local doctor who referred him to the nearby community health centre at Gosainganj. The kid however died on way to the hospital.

Naval Kishore, the father

of the child, held the school staff responsible for the death.

“The teacher did not allow him to go home though he should have immediately rushed him to the doctor. The cook of the school is also responsible. The kitchen was very dirty, she should have kept it clean,” the grieving father said.

Local villagers have demanded action against the school staff.
The snake was later caught by a local snake charmer from the kitchen.

Comments (+)