Kid falls into sambar vessel, suffers burns

Kid falls into sambar vessel, suffers burns

A two-and-a-half-year-old child suffered severe burns after he fell into a sambar vessel at midday meal kitchen in a school at Balehalli village in Malur taluk on Friday.

Manjula, employed as an assistant cook under the midday meal scheme at the Government Primary School, used to carry her son Manoj Gowda every day to the school while preparing the meals.

The school runs classes from first to fifth standard and has many as 24 students study there.

On Friday, after preparing the sambar, Manjula got busy preparing rice. Manoj, who came from behind, lost his balance and fell into the sambar vessel and suffered severe burns.

Rushed to hospital

He was rushed to a private hospital there and then shifted to Victoria Hospital in Bangalore, for additional treatment.

The village residents alleged that the kitchen constructed in 1996 was of poor quality and lacked a counter.

The cooks had to prepare food on the floor. Since there is no other place to store the cooked food, it is kept on the floor to cool down, which often leads to such mishaps.