From here & there

A heritage church in Mysore
Located close by the noisy suburban bus stand in Mysore is this quiet place of worship, a historic and holy church  dedicated to the Saint Bartholomew.

Consecrated in 1830, (the construction completed in 1832) it is one of the oldest Churches in Mysore founded for the  religious congregations which consisted mainly of European army personnel  belonging  to the British Residency in Mysore. Among the Mysore’s earliest built churches which were known to have been generously patronised by successive Wadiyar kings in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth  centuries, the St Bartholomew’s Church  was built on a spacious site gifted by Krishnaraja Wadiyar III (1799-1868).

The church is known for its beautiful marble altar, teakwood panelling and a stained glass window donated by Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV.The stained glass window (marked for its elegantly done painting of the St. Bartholomew) was unveiled by Lady Wellington when the church celebrated its centenary in 1930.

Prince Albert Victor and King George V of British royalty offered prayers at the church when they visited Mysore in 1889 and 1906 respectively. During one his official visits to Mysore, Governor GeneralLord William Bentinck (1833-1835) is said to have once joined the Mass.

St Bartholomew is believed to have visited India in the early first century AD and preached the Gospel to Catholic Christians in and around Kalyan, Thane and Raigad regions of Maharastra.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry