Boy killed in LPG mishap

Gas leak triggers fire, parents battling for life with severe burns

Boy killed in LPG mishap

 
 Police inspecting the damaged house. (Inset) Renny. dh photoRenny succumbed to injuries while his parents, Cedry Singh (41) and Shareen (32) are battling for life with 80 pc burns.  Forensic experts have confirmed that the fire was triggered by gas leakage.

Tragedy struck the family barely after 24 hours they moved into their new apartment. The couple lived in a rented house on 27th Main, HSR Layout and recently finalised a flat in first floor, Brindavan Residency. They had moved into their new abode after a formal ceremony on Sunday evening. Cedry Singh is an employee at Madura garments.

Ball of fire

"We wanted to have a grand bash next week. Before that, we decided to have a pooja and move in. We stayed back in the new flat and around 8 am, Shareen went to kitchen to prepare tea. My son and I also followed her. The moment she lighted a match stick, I heard a loud noise, followed by a ball of fire. We were thrown into sit out due to the impact of the explosion,” he has said in his statement to the police. “We shifted a few things including the LPG gas cylinder and fitted the rubber pipes last evening. We boiled the milk but never realised there was a leakage," he added. The couple are being treated at St John’s Hospital.

Jarnardhan Reddy, a neighbour who rushed to help after hearing the cry said that the impact of the explosion was so powerful that the kitchen door, window panes were virtually blown up damaging the hall and the passage walls, Meanwhile, FSL officials told Deccan Herald that the rubber pipe used by Cedry was outdated and going by the seal on the product, it expired in 2007 itself.

Sources said, Cedry might have forcibly fitted the rubber pipe damaging it in the process.  Lack of ventilation and exhaust fan further aggravated the situation.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry