Studying Abroad

Studying Abroad

Register for IELTS or TOEFL

Dear Madam,
I am presently studying BCA 4th semester, doing well in my studies and scoring first class in every semester.  I just want to know what will I have to prepare for my higher studies. As I have plan to do my MCA aboard. Will it be OK? If so to get abroad is there any exams?  
Sneha Gavali.

Dear Sneha,
If you are currently in the 4th Semester of BCA, you are in your second year. You should start your application process for MCA in the beginning of your 5th Semester. It is good that you are scoring a first class every semester. A good GPA will help you get into a top world class University.

What you need to do for a start is register for either an IELTS or TOEFL (internet based test) or PTE exam .This is a requirement for all international students.
Some Universities would also require a GRE score.

To pursue a Masters degree in Computers in the U.S or Canada, you would generally need to complete 12 + 4 years of study like BE or BTech.
After a 3 year Bachelors degree, you will not be eligible to apply to most of the top universities in the U.S and Canada. You will have to do one additional year of study before applying to these Universities.

The good news is all other countries like U.K, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Singapore etc will accept you with a 3 year degree. The course in most countries is generally referred to as Masters in Computer Science or Masters in information technology.

Dear Madam,

I see many students going to US to do their masters and we know it is expensive. I request your to suggest countries other than US which has student friendly visa policy and relatively economical than US. I also request you to suggest the country, which has post study work visa to be given in ease
Shreyas B

Dear Shreyas,
As far as student visa goes, all countries have a friendly policy.
Post study work visa is easier in countries like New Zealand, Australia and Canada.
All countries including U.K would be cheaper than U.S.

Tuition fee in U.S and Canada will cost approximately $35000 - $60000 per year. In U.K it will cost you 10000 to 15000 GBP per year. While your masters program will take a year and a half to two years to complete in U.S and Canada, it takes one year in U.K.
Tuition fee in Australia is again between 30000 – 60000 Australian Dollars per year. In New Zealand it will cost you approximately 10000 to 50000 NZ Dollars per year.
Germany till now does not charge any tuition fee even for international students. It would help to do a German Language course before you apply to Germany.

The Scandinavian countries are also very student friendly. Tuition fees would range between 9000-15000 Euros per year.
In France, you could pay around 300 Euros (in a Public University) to 20000 Euros (in a Private University) per year depending on the University and the course. It would help to know French if you want to study in France.

Spain offers Masters Programs from 1000 Euros to 30000 Euros per year.
In Netherlands, it will cost you 15000 – 20000 Euros per year.
For more information on Universities, Courses, fees etc visit

Dear Madam,
I am in my final semester of B Com. I wish to do a one year MSc in Finance abroad. Can you please advise me as to how I should go about this?
Keerti Belleri

Dear Keerti,
First decide which country you want to study in. Research the Universities there. There are many websites which rank the Universities according to the subject, student satisfaction, teaching, location and other criteria. See what is important to you and shortlist a few Universities.

Make sure your passport is ready. If it needs to be renewed, do so quickly. You will need a valid passport to register for and take the English language test. This is compulsory for all students who want to study abroad.

Then register and take either the IELTS or TOEFL IBT or Pearson test. Check which of these tests is preferred by the Universities you are applying to.
Some Universities may want you to take a GRE test too. Even though this may not be mandatory, it is better to take this test especially if you are applying to one of the top Universities.

You have to write a personal statement of 1000 to 1500 words. This essay should tell the admissions office about you, your strengths, your subject choice, career goals and why you want to study in their University.

You would then have to request 3 referees to write you a letter of recommendation. At least 2 of them should be academic referees from your present University. The 3rd referee can be from your internship / work experience / community service etc
Finally, put together all your transcripts (marks cards) and apply to the Universities.

Dear Madam
I have just completed my BBM, I m planning to go to Australia for my MBA. I heard that you need minimum 2 to 3 years of work experience to get into a good university. They are colleges without work experience I m afraid it is good university or not. I'm already taking up my IELTs. So can you please suggest me to what course/ university I should I get into.

Dear Rakesh,
Most of the top Universities in countries outside India will insist on a 2 to 3 year work experience before an MBA. There are some Universities which will accept you without work experience. If you are keen on an MBA, work for a couple of years and then apply to a reputed University. Alternately, do an MSc in Management or Finance or Marketing or HR.These days Universities offer a variety of interesting masters programs. You don’t have to think of MBA as the only option.

Dear Madam
I have completed my BSc radiography and would like to pursue a MPH degree from abroad could you please guide me. And can I pursue some alternative degree like MPH online while continuing any MSc abroad. And also guide me on the requirements to admissions abroad which all tests are required and how long does it take to complete a full time MPH. and the various means of funding my education.
Novairah Ajrekar

Dear Novairah,
The MPH degree focuses on public health practice, as opposed to research or teaching. Master of Public Health programs are available throughout the world in Programs in Public Health, Medical Schools, Schools of Public Health, and Schools of Public Affairs. The program is offered by most of the top Universities across the world as a full time program and an online program.

In some countries the MPH program is only available for medical graduates (MBBS or equivalent), those without the medical degree can join the Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) program. The MSPH degree is an academic public health degree rather than a professional public health degree. The MSPH is more research-oriented than is the MPH. Required MSPH coursework includes most of the same classes needed for the MPH degree, but in addition the MSPH degree requires additional research coursework such as research methods. Also, MSPH students must complete a research thesis/project of publishable quality. The extra coursework roughly requires an additional year of study in relation to what is required for the MPH degree.

In the United States anyone with an accredited undergraduate degree may pursue an MPH or MSPH. However, some states in the United States recognize MPH holders as ancillary clinical professionals (and patient-facing clinical staff) especially with regard to preventive medicine, health education, and other functions in the clinical and hospital environments. In fact, most hospital systems have MPH degree staff to study disease trends and help to combat hospital-based infections.

In the UK the MPH is not widely available; an MSc in the field of public health (generally one year's full-time study) may be the nearest equivalent.
The traditional MPH degree is designed to expose candidates to 5 core discipline areas of public health:
1. Biostatistics
2. Epidemiology
3. Environmental Health
4. Health Policy and Health Administration
5. Social and behavioural sciences
The tests to be taken as an entry requirement are the same for most Masters Programs. You need to write the GRE and TOEFL / IELTS exam.
The other requirements for admission are your undergraduate transcripts, your statement of purpose, resume and 3 letters of recommendations.
As far as scholarships are concerned, you could apply for the merit based scholarships offered by the Universities. Alternately, you could take an education loan from your Bank in India. These days many Banks offer student loans.

Prof Uma Aswani has 20 years of experience in eucation as a lecturer, HoD, professor, college counsellor, education consultant and academic director..

Send in your queries to Education,
Deccan Herald, 75, MG Road,
email us at

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox