Paharganj terror strike aborted as IM man got injured: police

Paharganj terror strike aborted as IM man got injured: police

Paharganj terror strike aborted as IM man got injured: police

Five months after the February 13, 2010 bomb blast at Pune, Indian Mujahideen (IM) had planned to carry out a terror strike at German Bakery here on August 1 but the plan was aborted as one of the executors sustained bullet injuries due to accidental firing, Delhi Police said.

The Special Cell of Delhi Police said this to a court here in its charge sheet filed against IM's Indian chief Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 19, 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case in which two Taiwanese tourists had sustained bullet injuries.

On February 13, 2010, a powerful bomb blast had ripped the Pune's German Bakery killing 17 people, including foreigners, and injuring around 60 others.

The special cell, in its charge sheet, said Yasin had planned to carry out the strike at German Bakery in Paharganj here on August 1, 2010 and co-accused Quateel Siddiqui, who died under mysterious circumstances in Pune Yerawada Jail in 2012, and Mohd Adil were assigned the work to open fire at the foreign tourists.

It said while Quateel and Adil were on their way to carry out the attack, the carbine which was in possession of Adil went off accidentally and Quateel sustained injury in his hips.

"On August 1, 2010, Adil was supposed to carry out the attack at about 9 PM but the carbine then being carried out by him went off accidentally and Quateel received bullet injury in his hip while they were on their way to carry out the attack," the police said.

They said that in July 2010, Yasin and Quateel had conducted a recee of the places where foreigners made frequent visits and Yasin decided to carry out the strike at German Bakery.

"Yasin had arranged one carbine, one pistol and some ammunition from Munger (in Bihar) through a contact of Riyaz (IM co-founder). After arranging a room at Shastri Park Delhi, he (Yasin) had called Quateel and asked him to reach Delhi along with Adil. Yasin had also arranged one stolen black motorcycle for the action," it said.

The Delhi Police also said that after the "failed attempt", Yasin decided Jama Masjid was the area where attack would be carried out and Asadullah Akhtar and Pakistani national Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas, who was recently arrested, would execute the strike.

"However, Adil and Quateel insisted that they be given one more chance to execute the strike. This was conveyed to Riyaz who consented to this but directed that Asadullah and Waqas should give cover to Quateel and Adil this time," it said.

It claimed that in pursuance to the conspiracy, the strike was carried out at gate number three of Jama Masjid on September 19, 2010 where Quateel and Adil "fired indiscriminately" on foreign tourists getting down from a bus and sped away.

The police filed its charge sheet against Yasin and Akhtar under various sections of the IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 120B (criminal conspiracy) and under the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.

The police claimed in the charge sheet that Yasin Bhatkal was instructed by Pakistan-based handlers to carry out terror attacks just before the beginning of 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) held in Delhi.

The police said that on September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired at tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese, Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-chiange, had sustained bullet injuries whereas a bomb was fitted in a car parked in the area.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox