Toll rises to 26 in Chennai building collapse

Toll rises to 26 in Chennai building collapse

With the recovery of eight more bodies from the site in suburban Moulivakkam, the toll in the collapse of an 11 stored under-construction building here rose to 26 on Monday.

Three critically-injured people, including a woman, were rescued from the debris on Monday morning.

They were immediately taken to the nearby Ramachandra Medical College Hospital (SMCH).

Rescue operation

Police and fire service sources said 26 bodies had so far been recovered from the debris of the first-ever collapsed high-rise building in Chennai and that 23 were still undergoing treatment at the hospitals.

Relief work from Saturday’s collapse continued for the third day and it is still uncertain if more bodies would be found.

A senior official from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team suspects that the death toll may increase as the details of how many people were trapped under the debris are still unknown.

According to him, a total of 750 police personnel, 360 from the fire and rescue service, 402 from the NDRF, besides 30 doctors and nurses, have been pressed into service in light of the collapse.

The NDRF official said that state-of-the-art equipment, including remote-controlled gadgets, were being used with the help of Anna University to spot survivors.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu visited the site near Porur and got first-hand information of the ongoing rescue work. Naidu also visited the SMC hospital to enquire about the condition of the injured.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)