Studying Abroad

Studying Abroad

Dear Madam,

I am currently In my 4th sem, Coumputer science engineering, VTU affiliated, I have always been an all-rounder right from the school days with an 85 percent average upto my 12th grade. After I enrolled for my under graduation, I really couldn't concentrate on my studies for various reasons, But I managed to score 60 percent marks in all my First 3 semesters, I can definitely do better in the coming semesters.

Right after my B E I'm planning to pursue my M S (USA) in a good university, and I reckon whatever I spoke about so far matters a lot, so I would want know do these universities have campus drives?  And will my student visa allow me to find a job on my own after completion of my MS. It would be kind of you if you also enlighten me about the fee structure.


Dear Arun,

There are many excellent universities in the U.S where you can pursue your MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. The fee would be anything between $ 40000 to $ 70000 per year. Most universities will have campus recruitments at the end of the program.

Your F1 student visa will not allow you to work while you are studying. On-campus employment is the category most freely permitted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service regulations. Although F-1 status includes an on-campus employment privilege, on-campus employment opportunities in the area of teaching and research assistantships at most schools are limited.

Many schools do require that you obtain permission from the International Student Office prior to accepting any on-campus employment, and may not permit such employment in a student's first semester or year. You can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time on campus during holidays and vacation periods if you intend to register for the next academic semester.

Generally, students work in the computer lab, book store, library, canteen etc during their free hours to earn some pocket money.

International students in the US in valid F-1 immigration status are permitted to work off-campus in optional practical training (OPT) status both during and after completion of their degree. Rules established by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) govern the implementation of OPT, and all OPT employment requires prior authorization from USCIS and from your school’s International Student Office.

You can apply for OPT after being enrolled for at least 9 months, but you cannot begin employment until you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS and you have been enrolled for at least a year.

You do not need to have a job offer to apply for your OPT EAD, and your OPT employment can occur anywhere in the US. Start early—USCIS takes up to 90 days to process your application—and make sure you work closely with your school’s International Student Office. As with everything you will do while in the US, permission is based on maintaining lawful F-1 status, and your International Student Office will help you maintain that status throughout your stay. After completion of your degree, OPT work must be full time (40 hours/week) and all OPT must be completed within 14 months after completion of your degree.

Dear Madam

I just finished my 10th class this year and I have joined and presently studying in Bangalore. My goal is to finish my medical in AIIMS and then specialize in psychology abroad. Then I want to join NIMHANS. Kindly help me in achieving my goal. And please do guide me about the way to study for entering into AIIMS and which universities are the best in psychology and how do I enter into them. And are there any other well known institutes that treat mentally ill people in India?

Vidya Nittur

Dear Vidya,

To be eligible to apply to AIIMS, your marks in English, Physics, Chemistry & Biology should be above 60%. Join a good coaching class to prepare for the exam. You need to be able to answer 200 multiple choice questions in three and a half hours duration. The questions will be 12th standard level Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany & Zoology) and General knowledge.

Practise working on past years question papers which are easily available. For a start, I think you should work towards achieving your first goal of getting into AIIMS. Depending on which country you want to go to, you can choose a University to pursue Psychology. There are many excellent universities that offer programs in Psychology. Again as far as Medical Institutes, Psychiatric hospitals and research centres go, you have them in every state in India.

Dear Madam,

I'm doing 1st year BBA and I want to do my further BBA in University of Texas, Austin.
Can you please help in how to start with the transfer process to UT. I have told that studying abroad is quite expensive. What are entrance exams I should write?


Dear Moksha,

If you want to transfer to UT Austin, please be aware that it is most unlikely that you will get any transfer credits. Only when a student transfers from another US university do they get credits. So if you are keen on a transfer, do it as soon as possible without wasting any more time in your present college.

Studying abroad is certainly more expensive than studying in India. If your 12th grade results are very good and you can not afford a high tuition fee, Universities offer need based financial aid. The only exam you need to write is SAT (reasoning and subjects) and TOEFL.

Dear Madam,

I am presently studying 2nd PUC. I would also like to state that I have been doing pretty well in my academics so far managing 99% in the 1st PU. I would like to be a premed in the US. What are the exams that I must write? When should I write them? I know that studies in US are expensive but are there any scholarships available? How much will the expenses amount to without scholarships?


Dear Ruthvik,

If you want to pursue your Pre Med in the US, take the SAT reasoning and 3 subject tests. Also take the TOEFL ibt exam. Need based scholarships are available for students with excellent grades and a genuine need for financial aid. In the United States, you will have to first complete your Bachelors degree before joining a Medical School. When you choose your courses at University, ensure you take the following subjects:
Two years of chemistry (general and organic) with lab. One year of physics with lab. At least one year of general biology with lab. Some medical and other health professional schools also require Calculus or other college-level Mathematics, English and Advanced Biological science and/or Biochemistry.

Specialization subjects such as Embryology, Genetics, Microbiology or immunology, Molecular Cell Biology etc would be an advantage.

Before applying to your Med School, you need to take the MCAT exam.

Dear Madam,

I am a student from class 10 and wish to pursue Architecture. I intend to do Bachelor’s degree in India and masters in Europe (France, Germany etc.). Is this advisable from a curriculum point of view? I guess in India it will be on Indian Architecture.  If so, will I find it difficult to pursue my masters in Europe? I also wish to know about some of the good universities to study B Arch in Europe.


Dear Shreyas,

You can certainly pursue your M Arch in Europe after your B Arch in India. There are so many good Universities across Europe that offer Architecture at both Bachelors as well as Masters Level.

In France you have the École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture in Paris, Toulouse, Versailles, Grenoble etc among other cities. In Germany, The Technical Universities at Munich, Karlsruhe, Berlin, Dortmund, Dresden etc offer excellent programs in Architectural studies.

In Denmark, The Royal Danish Academy of fine Arts in Copenhagen and Aarhus School of Architecture are among the best.

In Spain you have the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia.
Netherlands has the Technical University of Delft which is one of best in Europe for Architecture. ETH Zurich is among the top Architectural Schools in Switzerland.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox