Organisation betrays trust

Organisation betrays trust

Engineer had promised health services to poor people

Nagaraj of Pattanagere, Rajarajeshwarinagar, was running a small-time organisation, Shri Sai Guru Women's and Child Welfare Trust. He roped in 70 persons from economically weaker sections as members on payment of Rs 500 by each of them. In exchange, he promised to avail them a loan of Rs 10,000 within 15 days, besides providing assistance in securing admission for their wards in schools and health services. He had deputed his two lady workers, Lata and Bhagya, for the collection of the remittances. In total, he collected Rs 35,000 from the members, the police said.

But when the time for the release of the loans came, he allegedly started buying time. Upset over this, when the members went to his "office," it didn't exist at all! Following this, he fled on December 13 only to reappear later.

Subsequently, one of the members, Mahadevi, along with others called the accused to account and took him to the Jnanabharathi Police Station last Saturday. His friends, however, had him released on their personal guarantees. But they too gave in on Sunday leaving Nagaraj cooling his heels at the police station.

“He had also duped several persons in Kamakshipalya, Sunkadakatte, etc after quitting his job at a reputed cement manufacturing company. He had enticed us with offers of cash loans on low interest rates,” Loknath, a victim, told Deccan Herald.  Nagaraj was remanded to 14 days' judicial custody by a court on Monday.

Temple jewellery stolen

A ‘devotee’ reportedly made away with a gold chain and a silver crown, worth Rs 45,000, adorning the deity at a temple in Koramangala, when the priest had gone for a meal, on Friday afternoon.

The incident took place at Sree Ellamma Devi Temple, Koramangala 8th Block. Temple in-charge Munireddy S R has lodged a complaint with the police that a devotee, aged between 40 and 45, was evincing keen interest in the temple's affairs for the past few days. At 1 pm on Friday when priest Ramesh was leaving for home, he took the keys of the sanctum sanctorum from him insisting he would lock it.

Later, when Ramesh returned around 5:30 pm, he found that the ornaments were missing and the south door of the temple was open. According to Koramangala Inspector Nagaraj, the incident might have occurred between 3 and 4 pm. The culprit spoke Kannada and was around 5.6 feet tall. A case has been registered.