Adani group expanding UPCL project, says Hegde

Congress leader K Jayaprakash Hegde on Wednesday alleged that Adani group, which recently bought Udupi Power Corporation Limited (UPCL), has decided to take up expansion of the power project despite stiff resistance from the local people.

Addressing reporters, he said Udupi-Chikmagalur BJP MP Shobha Karandlaje had mislead people during the recent Lok Sabha elections saying that UPCL will not be expanded. Ironically, it has now come to light that the approval for the expansion was accorded by the then BJP government in 2010, he added.

The High Level Clearance Committee had in its meeting dated June 19, 2010 approved a proposal to set up third and fourth units with 660 MW capacity each. The then government has also agreed to allot 400 acres of land for this purpose, he said and alleged that the approval has been given without conducting public hearing.

Adani group has purchased UPCL at the cost of Rs 6,000 crore from Lanco despite a case pertaining to its cost pending before the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission. The purchase is likely to have a bearing on the power tariff, he added.

This apart, Hegde said the Centre has decided to cut down funding for projects taken up under Marine Fisheries Infrastructure and Post-Harvest Operation. The Centre used to share 75 per cent of such projects, while the State would share the remaining 25 per cent.

 In a recent order, the NDA government has reduced its share to 40 per cent, he alleged.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)