Kidnapped boy sold to couple for Rs 50,000

Girl's parents find obscene messages sent by accused

A year-old boy was kidnapped from near Delhi Cantonment railway station by two woman and sold to a childless couple in west Delhi’s Khayala for Rs 50,000.

The two accused were arrested near Janakpuri Metro station on Wednesday, police said.
The boy’s family came to the capital from Rajasthan’s Alwar district on March 30 and were temporarily residing near the railway station in south Delhi.

On April 1, the boy was playing with his elder sister when they were noticed by the child traffickers.

“The accused gave sedative-laced food to the girl and fled away with the boy,” said Ashok Chand, Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime).

On failing to locate the boy, his mother had approached Mayapuri police station. He was rescued only after the crime branch received information about child traffickers on Wednesday.

A trap was laid near Janakpuri Metro station, which led to the arrest of Guljar Singh, 33, and Surender Kaur, 37.

Surender told police that she came to Delhi from Punjab’s Jalandhar district after wedding. She had two children from the wedlock, but the marriage ended due to personal differences.

They separated mutually and Surender returned to Punjab. After some time, she married Dalbir Singh of Punjab’s Anandpur Sahib district.

Around eight months back, Surender along with her husband shifted to Delhi and initially resided in west Delhi’s Khayala before shifting to Tagore Garden.

“They knew a couple in Khayala, who were childless. The couple had tried to adopt a child, but it didn’t materialise. Surender was aware of this,” Chand added.

Through a common friend, Surender came in contact with a property dealer named Gulzar Singh. Surender also joined him in the business, but their earnings were meager.

Surender and Gulzar discussed that the couple had no child and Surender suggested that they could sell a kidnapped child. Gulzar agreed to the proposal and Surender then roped in a friend named Neetu Kaur.

Gulzar told Surender and Neetu that he had seen children of poor families near railway stations, and insisted that they could be targeted.

“The gang then decided to carry out their plan at Delhi Cantonment railway station,” Chand said.

On April 1, Surender and Neetu went near the railway station and spotted a girl playing with a boy. They began talking to the girl to get familiar and offered food.

They asked the girl to return home, but she insisted on going back with her brother. When the girl consistently persisted, they put Alprazolam tablet in food and gave it to her. They fled with the boy after the girl lost consciousness.

The gang then went to the couple’s house, where Surender claimed that the boy was Gulzar’s nephew.

“Gulzar even gave it in writing on which they received Rs 50,000,” Chand added. The boy has been recovered from the couple’s house and handed over to his parents. Surender has criminal history and was previously involved in cases of kidnapping filed in Alwar.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)