Crowd, police worry melt away in false news

Crowd, police worry melt away in false news

Jayalalitha case: Amma fans in 'victory mode' obey police, march out of HC premises

Crowd, police worry melt away in false news

Hundreds of AIADMK supporters who had gathered outside the High Court of Karnataka were waiting for just one news – bail for their leader J Jayalalitha.

The news did come, but lasted for a few minutes, since it turned out to be a false one, reportedly leaked by some over-enthusiastic advocates from Tamil Nadu. But then, the false news came as a boon for the police, as it helped them send out the crowd without much difficulty.

The crowd had gathered outside the High Court premises since morning, with a hope that the AIADMK supremo will get bail. Though prohibitory orders were issued around the High Court, the crowd had somehow managed to settle in and around the High Court parking lot.

The crowd was receiving minute-by-minute update from the court hall through some party supporters inside. The matter came up for hearing at around 11.30 am and was adjourned to 2.30 pm.

Fearing that they might not be allowed to get in again, the crowd ate only some fruits during lunch break and stayed put at the parking lot.

At around 3.45 pm, as the arguments by both the defence and the prosecution were over, news came that conditional bail would be granted. The news gained authenticity when a lawyer from Tamil Nadu came rushing towards the media gallery with the news that conditional bail had indeed been granted to all the four convicts.

The advocate, who claimed to be practising in the Madras High Court, also briefed the media, stating that though the order was still being pronounced, conditional bail had been granted. The crowd rejoiced at this news and party flags and banners, with huge photographs of Jayalalitha, were taken out of the cars.

At this point, the police sent the celebrating crowd out of the parking lot. The crowd did not resist and went out in a procession. The supporters danced and shouted slogans in support of their leader.

Just when the procession reached the main road, the crowd realised that Jayalalitha had, in fact, been denied bail. However, they could not go back to the High Court premises as the police had, by then, closed all the gates. A senior police official said that by the time the actual order was pronounced, the crowd had dispersed, with some rushing towards the Parappana Agrahara prisons.

“The false news helped manage the crowd peacefully. It was not difficult to send them out,” the official said.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox