Maid tortured, couple arrested

Maid tortured, couple arrested

Maid tortured, couple arrested

shameful: (From left) TV grab showing Durga being treated at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Child HealthThe helpline received a call in the morning from an unidentified person who informed them about the girl’s plight.

Durga, an orphan hailing from Kolkata, was working at the house of Chakravarthy (32) and Sinchita (28) at Somasundar Palya in HSR layout for the past one year. Chakravarthy is a businessman whereas Sinchita is a home maker.

Subramani, a coordinator with the Childline, said: “We immediately went to the place to verify the authenticity of the complaint. We found that the girl was indeed beaten up. We then called the police and rescued the girl. Later, we took her to the police station where an FIR was filed.” As Durga’s injuries were severe, she was admitted in the intensive care unit of Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health.

Sinchita also hailed from Kolkata and had employed Durga to look after the couple’s three-year-old child. The authorities have not been able to find Durga’s relatives.
The Child Welfare Committee (CWC) and the Karnataka State Commission                         for Protection of Child Rights (KSCPCR) visited Durga in the hospital and assured to take stern action against the couple.

The Association for Promotion of Social Action (APSA), a child welfare NGO, will also look after the tormented girl.Meanwhile, the HSR layout police station arrested the couple and produced them at the residence of the 6th Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Churi Khan in Koramangala.

Multiple charges
The couple was charged under sections 373 (buying minor for purpose of prostitution, etc), 374 (unlawful compulsory labour), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506 (criminal intimidation) and the sterner 326 (voluntary causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means), which could land them in jail for life. They have also been charged under sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Since the offense was non-bailable, the couple were remanded to 14 days judicial custody.

The Magistrate fixed December 31 for the prosecution to file its objections. The couple, however, rubbished the charges and claimed these were “fabricated and baseless”.
Sinchita took her infant along with her to the jail. The Magistrate left the matter of the child’s future to the parents as Sinchita refused to hand over the baby to any state home. The couple will be shifted to the main prison.

“We recorded the statement of the girl. Her back was scalded as the couple had poured boiling water and oil on it. Besides, her face was swollen from the thrashing. We went to the Magistrate and presented the report,” said Nina Nayak, Chairperson of KSCPCR.