Cambridge school to reopen today after week-long break

Cambridge school to reopen today after week-long break

Management promises number of safety measures in coming weeks

Cambridge school to reopen today after week-long break

The Indiranagar Cambridge School that was shut nearly a week ago following protests over the rape of a minor girl, will resume functioning on Thursday.

Representatives of the school management met parents for the first time on Wednesday since the incident was reported and assured them that a number of safety measures will be put in place in the coming weeks.

The meeting held at the school premises was also attended by officials from the police and the education departments.

Briefing reporters after the meeting, City Police Commissioner M N Reddi said: “The school will reopen tomorrow (Thursday) and it has agreed to implement a number of safety measures. The jurisdictional DCP has examined the measures to be implemented. The school will have 90 CCTV cameras by the end of the week.”

The school has already put in place facilities such as GPRS, CCTV, security, attenders, identification cards, SMS alerts, floor vigilance officers and a student counsellor, a statement from the school said.

Addressing reporters, Kusum Arya, a representative from the management, said an SMS to confirm the opening would be sent to parents. The school would put in place measures such as mandatory verification of male staff members, 90 CCTVs that will cover common areas and one camera each in classrooms, a full-time psychologist, creating awareness among children about good and bad touch as well as about the child helpline.

“We will also form a special committee comprising parents, teachers and student counsellors and engaging with them on a monthly basis. Additional safety measures in consultation with relevant authorities and the parents will be in place two weeks from now,” said Arya. A parents’ committee to give suggestions on various issues will also be formed, she said.

Replying to queries on the cost of putting in place safety measures, Kusum said it would not put any additional burden on parents as the school was willing to bear all the costs.
When asked to confirm rumours about the resignation of the school principal, Vyjayanthi, following the incident, Arya said: “As long as the investigation is going on, the principal will not resign. Our strongest desire is that she stays back,” she said.

However, the parents had mixed reactions on the assurances given. While some said they were satisfied, others like Shruthi, whose child studies in Class 4, said nothing has changed.

“I understand that the classes have to resume and parents are worried. However, what about the victim? Parents were not given a chance to highlight such concerns,” she said.
DH News Service