Tough choices in turbulent times

Tough choices in turbulent times

Studying Abroad

Tough choices in turbulent times

Raja ReddyDear Sir

I am a first PU (Science) student in Bijapur, Karnataka. I want to be an aeronautical engineer. I am preparing for CET and AIEEE. Could you suggest a few foreign universities that offer aeronautical engineering courses? What are the exams I need to appear for?

Saif Khan
Dear Saif,

I appreciate your forethought. You will always get better opportunities when you start planning ahead. You are on the right track as you have begun preparing for AIEEE & CET. Whether in India or abroad, you will have a better foundation by studying basic engineering subjects at the undergraduate level and then choosing aeronautical engineering as a specialisation.  Universities in USA, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore offer courses in aeronautical engineering. You would need to take up the English language proficiency test. Universities in the US look for TOEFL scores, whereas colleges in other countries look for IELTS scores (website If you want to study in the US, you would also have to take up SAT 1 (website Studying abroad  involves an expenditure of  Rs 12-15 lakh a year. Currently, financial assistance of any sort is hard to come by. Another option for you is to score well in PUC & CET, and study engineering in India. You could always opt for a master’s programme in aeronautical engineering anywhere abroad.

Dear Sir,

I am an Electronics Engineer by qualification and I am passionate about mathematics. I want to pursue a master’s in mathematics. Which university abroad offers a PG in mathematics and what are the exams that I need to give? Which is the best country to study mathematics in?

Dear Aditya,

You are eligible to do a master’s programme either in India or in a few countries abroad. Universities in USA will give you admission to their MS programme after you write GRE ( and TOEFL ( Browse the following websites: and for more details. You would have studied applied mathematics, not pure mathematics, in engineering. You would therefore need additional course credits. You need to get in touch with a specific university in order to go through this exercise. Identify the university of your choice and then make your study plans.

The author is the Director of Banjara Academy and co-ordinator of Helping Hand. Send your queries to: Studying Abroad, DH Education, Deccan Herald, # 75, MG Road, Bangalore-560001, or email us at: