Do extensive research

Do extensive research

Dear Madam,
I am currently in the second year of BA, studying journalism, literature and psychology. I aspire to do my masters in literature abroad. Could you please recommend a few universities and the corresponding fee structures?

Dear Jessica,
I would recommend one of the UK universities for your masters in English literature. The fee structure in UK would be anything between 8,000 GBP (British Pound Sterling) to 15,000 GBP depending on the university. The duration of the masters programme would be one year.

Dear Madam,
I am currently in my fifth semester of chemical engineering. I want to do my MS from a reputed university abroad. Do I need to take up training for my GRE? Could you shed some light on the universities that offer courses of my interest. I would like to know about the admission procedures involved and scholarships that I could gain.
Keerthan R Rao

Dear Keerthan,
With your BE, GRE and IELTS, you can apply for masters in chemical engineering. You don’t need to undergo any training. You can choose your university depending on your GPA. In the US, we have universities such as MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Princeton, Cornell, Yale, University of Michigan, University of Texas etc which are among the best for your subject. In the U.K, we have Cambridge, Imperial College London, Edinburgh, Oxford, Newcastle and Manchester. In Singapore, both Nanyang Technological Univeristy (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS) have excellent chemical engineering programmes. German universities such as Technical University of Munich, Humboldt University Berlin, RWTH Aachen are some of best in the world. ETH Zurich in Switzerland, University of Toronto and McGill in Canada, Monash, Curtin and UNSW in Australia, Delft University Netherlands, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Paris, Lund University Sweden are some other options that you could consider. For a detailed listing of universities, admission procedure and scholarships, please visit

Dear Madam,
I just finished my second year of electronics and communication engineering and I aspire to make a career in astronomy. Kindly suggest the required qualifications. I have a CGPA of 8.5. Is it enough to apply to the universities abroad? Kindly suggest some good institutions which offer post-graduate astronomy courses both in India and abroad.
Abhilash Hegde

Dear Abhilash,
Out of the top 200 universities in the world for physics and astronomy, 50 would be from US, followed by U.K, Germany, Italy, Canada, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and Australia. In India, Indian Institute of Science (IISC) is one of the best. Since you are only in your second year of engineering, don’t be in a rush to pick the university or even the country for that matter. Perform well in your engineering and get a high GPA. Write the GRE and IELTS exam. During holidays, carry out some research work and chart down some options. Usually, many top universities offer astronomy courses.

Dear Madam,
I am a MBBS graduate from Bangalore, currently pursuing residency in USA. I am taking up my USMLE step 1 exam in November and leaving for USA in February. I will be taking my step 2 exams in US but before that I would like to know the kind of jobs I could take up and the process of getting letters of recommendation? I am on H4 visa right now. Will I get a work permit in US?
Akshata D

Dear Akshata,
The good news for you is that for the very first time, The Department of Homeland Security will start issuing Employment Authorization Cards (EAD), also known as work permits, to some H4 visa holders, sometime this year. You could work in a clinic or a hospital as a physician assistant, medical assistant, sleep technician, research associate etc. Internships are offered in university based hospitals for pre-residency fellowship.

Dear Madam,
I am currently in the final year of my business management course. I have maintained an aggregate of about 90 percent till now. I wish to do my MBA in finance from abroad. Suggest some universities abroad that I could try for. Since I need 16 years of education to get into a US university, can you suggest one-year degree courses?

Dear Sushanth,
All the top universities in the world will insist on 2 to 3 years work experience as an entry requirement for MBA. You could pursue a masters in finance from a UK university. They will accept your 3 year degree and all their masters programmess are for one year.

Dear madam,
I have completed my BE in computer science with average of 72.60 percent and aspire to do pursue my ME either in Germany, USA or Canada. Can you tell me which one is the best in terms of cost, quality of education and other career factors?
Urnish Macwana

Dear Urnish,
German Universities are good for many reasons: cost, high quality programmess taught in English, long stay visas for students and ample job opportunities. USA also has a wide selection of the best universities and programmes.Canadian universities like University of Toronto, McGill and UBC offer very good programmes too but with the Canadian dollar being as strong as the US dollar, there is not too much of a cost benefit involved.

Dear Madam,
I am currently in my second year of civil engineering. I want to do my masters from USA and expand my dad’s real estate business. Please suggest some good courses available abroad. Also, I am determined to learn a foreign language but I am really confused between German and Spanish. Spanish is the second language in USA and the second most spoken language across globe; but majority of internships (which can boost my CV) offered in my college are for Germany.
Krsna Agrawal

Dear Krsna,
You can pursue your masters in civil engineering, construction management, project management etc. If you are determined to go to US, it makes more sense to learn Spanish than German.

Dear Madam,
My daughter is currently in 11th standard and has secured 96.16 percent in SSLC (state board). She has taken up PCMB and wants to pursue biotechnology to become a scientist. Kindly tell us more about the biotechnology courses and the universities in India that offer them. She also aspires to do her masters in virology abroad after engineering.
A parent

Dear parent,
Your daughter should first prepare for and write the All India Entrance Exam to get into a good engineering college. All engineering colleges offer biotechnology. Some of the optional subjects taught are microbiology, immunology, virology, biochemistry, molecular biology, biostatistics, biophysics, genetic engineering, plant and animal tissue culture, cell biology, embryology and so on. After completing her four years of engineering, she can proceed to pursue her masters abroad.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0