Oz scholar suggests 15-day visas for research scientists

Australian academics have suggested that the Commonwealth body seek distinct, short-term visas for research students with objectives different from visas issued for longer-term temporary visas.

Professor Bob Williamson of the University of Melbourne said the way students have to learn by being in different countries has to change. “Normally, visas are issued for longer-term stay or short, extended stay. I suggest we have visas for temporary periods of just 15 days that should be enough for a student to come to Australia, conduct an experiment hands-on and get back to his home country. Something substantial needs to be done in the short period of two weeks. Typically, not much happens in longer stays,” Williamson said.
The academician said this visa could be an exclusive one for research students, different from visas issued to scientists.

Hands-on experiments
“I have always felt that very grounded and hands-on training and result-oriented work be undertaken. It’s better to conduct experiments hands-on and come back with results compared to theoretical studies with no concrete experience having been gained. That’s the reason a separate visa should be issued for such small periods because the experience will be first-hand and the guarantee of learning more would be higher,” Williamson said.

This, he added, all countries coming under the Commonwealth should give thought to and come out with some broad guidelines towards a visa for research students.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)