'Mobile blast' victim draws pic to recollect incident

'Mobile blast' victim draws pic to recollect incident

Seetharam is unable to speak after mishap

'Mobile blast' victim  draws pic to recollect incident

If Seetharam’s drawings are to be believed, his Karbonn mobile phone exploded after he fixed the skinned out copper wire of the charger plug into the junction box, leaving him badly injured on February 3.

Seetharam suffered severe injuries with the lower part of his face - nose and mouth ripped apart, and skin dangled from the chin, after the mobile phone exploded.

An 18-year-youth from Bihar, Seetharam, was a construction worker along with his father Pooranadev Sahu, at the toll plaza under construction at Kadaballi, Nagamangala taluk in Mandya district. He was working for Manjunatha Engineering and Constructions.

The JSS Hospital at Mysuru is treating Seetharam, who has been left speechless since the mishap. 

When the hospital staff wanted to know about the incident from him, Seetharam, drew a picture of the charger and wires, trying to convey in his best possible method.

Faulty charger

According to another source, Seetharam found the charger faulty and tried to charge the phone using the charger pin of a different manufacturer, leading to the mishap. The impact was such that both the charger and phone were reduced to pieces.

Seetharam’s father reiterated, “As my son wanted to charge the phone, he fixed the plug to a socket and pressed a button on the cellphone, leading to the blast”.Dr Vijay L, the plastic surgeon at JSS Hospital told the media that according to the victim’s father, it was a mobile phone blast. “However, we have not arrived at any conclusion,” he said.

Sources told Deccan Herald, that the work site where a huge shed with zinc sheets had been erected to temporarily accommodate the workers, was connected with a power line drawn from the nearest point. 

However, it was devoid of any safety measures such earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB) or miniature circuit breaker (MCB). As and when the workers retired to their shed after the day’s work, the power supply was restored.

A security guard was tasked with the job of turning on and off the power line. Safety measures are being implemented only after the mishap.

However, the office of the electrical inspector in Mandya has been kept uninformed by the authorities concerned. According to the procedure, Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation (Cesc) Limited has to inform the electrical inspector in such cases. But, there are no such reports said assistant electrical inspector Siddaraju.

When contacted, Mandya Superintendent of Police Bhushan Borase said: “A suo motu case can’t be filed in such cases, as the accused — if any — may question the propriety of the police, for acting without the victim’s complaint”.

According to an advocate, who preferred anonymity, such cases can be dealt under Workmen Compensation Act, Labour Act and also IPC for negligence.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)