Showers put paid to grape growers' hopes in Vijayapura

Showers put paid to grape growers' hopes in Vijayapura

Showers put paid to grape growers' hopes in Vijayapura

The untimely hailstorms seem to be taking a toll on the livelihood of grape farmers in the district. Grape vines at a number of places in the Vijayapura and Indi taluks have been destroyed due to the rains on Sunday night. The winds accompanying the rains have led to the grapes falling off the trees and getting damaged. The trees were uprooted in many cases.

The fallen grapes have started rotting and have turned brown. They will not be useful even to make raisins out of them as they have turned bitter.

The grape crops have thus put paid to the hopes of the farmers of a better income this year. They had suffered losses in the previous years too.

The damage has been extensive in Tikota, Kanamadi and Jalageri in Vijayapura taluk and Gundavana, Kapanimbaragi, Halagunaki, Jalaki, Anjutaki, Horti and Sindhagi in the Chadachana region of Indi taluk. This has resulted in losses to the tune of crores of rupees to the farmers.

The farmers are now forced to sell whatever is left of their produce at throwaway prices, said Sulochana Gangadhara of Gundavana village.

But the silver lining to the whole episode is the fact that 70 per cent of the crops have been harvested in the district and the remaining 30 per cent account for the losses.

The officials are now estimating the exact losses. Santosh Inamdar, deputy director of the horticulture department, said that the grapes industry may be hit hard if the showers continue.
DH News Service

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)