SpiceJet accident: Minister for action against officials

SpiceJet accident: Minister for action against officials

Information and Infrastructure Minister Roshan Baig sought disciplinary action against the district administration officials for being “callous” over the incident wherein a passenger plane skidded off the runway in Hubballi airport.

A Spicejet flight from Bengaluru carrying 78 passengers and crew had skidded off the runway at Hubballi Airport after a tyre burst on Sunday. Baig was one of the passengers. Baig, in a letter to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday, copies of which were released to the press, stated that the district administration officials did not show the courtesy of visiting the spot after the incident.

Baig stated that besides himself, three high court judges, and an MLC, were in the plane. He said that he had stayed back in Hubballi after the incident which occurred around 7:20 pm. “Despite media breaking the news of the incident, neither the deputy commissioner, the police commissioner, nor any district official, visited the spot or even spoke to me over the phone,” Baig stated.

The minister said the district administration had been provided prior information about his travel plans. “The lack of courtesy shown by the officials should be taken seriously and disciplinary action should be initiated against them,” he said. A copy of the letter has been marked to Chief Secretary Kaushik Mukherjee.

No flights for 2 more days

Air service to Hubballi will remain suspended for two more days as the office of the Director General of Civil Aviation is investigating what caused a SpiceJet aircraft to skid off the runway on Sunday night. The DGCA inquiry began on Monday.

The aircraft tyres were deflated as it attempted to land during heavy rain. Flights were suspended ever since. Passengers who had booked tickets for Monday demanded an explanation from SpiceJet officials why they were not intimated about the cancellation. On Tuesday, fuel in the aircraft was emptied as a precaution. Hubballi Airport director Shivanand Benal said two more days were required to shift the aircraft, after which a decision on resuming the services would be taken. 

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)