Ghanaian held for e-mail fraud

Ex-serviceman gets suspicious after paying Rs 6.6 lakh, alerts police

Akachi Ndubuisi (26) is suspected to have cheated Tejappa of Hassan to the tune of Rs 6.6 lakh through what is known as the “Nigerian e-mail fraud.” Tejappa received a message on October 30, 2009 sent by a sender with the description Orange Communication Service Centre.

The message read: “Congrats, your mobile number has won 1 million US dollars in 2009 draw. To claim e-mail your full name and mobile number to” Taken in by the message, Tejappa responded by mailing the details. In reply, he received an e-mail that contained a telephone number.

The receiver directed Tejappa to deposit Rs 40,000 as “diplomatic charge” and gave an account number of State Bank of India.  A few days later, Tejappa was directed to deposit Rs 1,30,000 towards “customs clearance.”

Tejappa received a fake receipt of payment. Tejappa further deposited amounts, all totalling Rs 6.6 lakh. A few days later, Tejappa was directed to mobilise Indian currency to the tune of five lakh US dollars, which he did.  Within days, Tejappa received another call and the caller directed him to pay Rs 25 lakh as tax.

Suspicious, Tejappa expressed his inability to pay Rs 25 lakh. However, the caller requested him to pay at least Rs 10 lakh. Tejappa asked him to send across his men to receive the money. Meanwhile, he contacted the police.

Ndubuisi landed at the Bengaluru International Airport on Tuesday and was on his way to meet Tejappa when he was arrested by police.  He told the police that two of his friends Richard Walter and Priya Rao are also involved in cheating racket. The police have launched a search operation to arrest the other two persons.

Police suspect an international cheating gang that is technology savvy behind the scam. They have cautioned the public to alert police in case they receive such e-mails or telephone calls.

Financier kidnapped

A rowdy gang allegedly kidnapped and locked up a finance consultant for more than 25 days in Mathikeri. After he was released by the gang, the victim, Naveen rushed to Yeshwanthpur police station and lodged a complaint.

According to Naveen, on December 17, seven men whisked him away and tortured him. They released him after they got him to sign on a few blank cheques and some  bond papers. The police suspect the involvement of notorious rowdy Venkatesh in the episode.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)