'Add dist in irrigation scheme'

'Add dist in irrigation scheme'

317 small tanks will be constructed under the project: Minister

 
A list of drought-hit regions was prepared under the aegis of the Irrigation Minister Govinda Karjol.

As per this Centrally sponsored project, the Union government would sanction nearly 90 percent of grant and the remaining 10 percent of the grants will be provided by the State government. However, Chikkaballapur district has been dropped from this list.

In addition to this the State government has allocated Rs 70 crore as grant for the project in the budget, announced the Minister for Irrigation in Bangalore. The Fast Track Irrigation Project is Rs 700 crore scheme. Construction of a small tank would cost nearly Rs 3 crore.

About 317 such tanks will be constructed, added Govind Karjol. The project will be implemented soon and it will be completed within three years time, he added.

Chikkaballapur is one of the most backward regions in the State and does not have any river canals. Bhadra Upper Canal Scheme has come in the way of the implementation of Dr Paramashivaiah scheme on which the people of the district had pinned a lot of hope.

The Bhadra Upper Canal Scheme will not benefit the people of Chikkaballapur, thus, the farmers should not be deprived from this Fast Track Irrigation Project as well, the farmers alleged.

The farmers of the district have pressurised the Minister for Wakf and the District-In-Charge Minister Dr Mumtaz Khan for the inclusion of the district in the Fast Track Irrigation Project, under which small tanks will be constructed.

Owing to the pressure from the farmers of the district the minister has written to the Irrigation Minister Govinda Karjol and has appealed for the inclusion of the district’s name in the list.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)