Union govt invites Naxals for peace talks


“If they wish to come for talks after abjuring violence, they are welcome. If there is no response to the offer, the anti-Naxal strategy, being formulated, will continue,” Chidambaram told newspersons here after his meeting with Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren.

The chief minister who had earlier, reportedly, wanted the Centre to take state government’s consent for anti-Naxal operations, came along with state home secretary and DGP.

“He (Soren) told me that there is no change in the policy of Jharkhand government and that he is on board with other chief ministers of Naxal-affected states on the strategy being worked out,” the home minister said.

Soren took charge of Jharkhand for the third time on December 30 and said that the proposed offensive against Maoists, would not be launched without the state government’s nod. Soren also sought to have peace talks with the Naxals.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)