Following an anonymous email, the security in and around the Supreme Court was beefed up on Tuesday with authorities barring entry of law interns and litigants in the high-security zone.
Sources said the email came on the court’s official address on Monday afternoon. It was written in English, and threatened to blow up the court building after the recent judgment on Yakub Memon’s hanging.
It was forwarded to the Delhi Police, who decided to hand over the probe to the cyber and special cells. They had already enhanced the security of Justice Dipak Misra and other judges after the verdict on Memon’s death penalty on July 30.
A threat letter was also sent to Justice Misra’s residence on August 5. The apex court is already being given three-layer of security with deployment of Delhi Police, Central Reserve Police Force and Rajasthan Police personnel.
Meanwhile the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) issued a circular asking lawyers to be extra cautious and report any suspicious activity to the police. “In view of the escalated threat perception being faced by the Supreme Court, the Chief Justice of India has sought to curtail/limit the number of visitors in the high security zone and proposed to completely stop the entry of interns/law students and visitors for the purpose of consultation, inside the high security zone,” it said.
Aishwarya Bhati, Secretary of SCBA, said that during a meeting held at the residence of Chief Justice H L Dattu on Monday evening, it was decided that due to the “supervening and compelling circumstances”, it was necessary to take these measures to ensure stronger safety of the apex court.