Electrical asst dies after touching faulty energy meters at KIA

A 20-year-old electrical assistant was electrocuted after touching energy metres at a building near the runway of the Kempegowda International Airport during a demonstration on an electrical procedure on Thursday night, police said.

The deceased, Madan Kumar Munikrishna, 20, was employed by Vasuki Electrical Company (VEC), the firm hired by the KIA to execute electricity-related works at the airport.

He was explaining routine electrical procedures to a young man who had recently joined the firm. Around 10 pm, he took him to a building near the runway to show him readings of meters 2 and 7.

He laid his hands on the meters to explain connection and disconnection procedures but suffered severe injuries and collapsed. He was rushed to a unit of the Ramaiah Memorial Hospital inside the airport and a doctor tried to revive him. But Munikrishna succumbed minutes later.

Short circuit is suspected to have caused the electrocution.
On Friday morning, the deceased’s parents, friends and relatives gathered at the airport circle 2 and staged a protest. 

‘No safety measures’
They suggested that the VEC management hadn’t put in place sufficient safety measures, and that led to electrocution.

They also demanded adequate compensation from the firm. They refused to let the body be shifted for post-mortem until their demands were met, police said.
Police later rushed to the spot, pacified the protesters and mediated between them and the VEC representatives. The protesters let the body to be moved to the Ambedkar Hospital for post-mortem only after the VEC management assured proper compensation to the deceased’s parents.

Police said they had booked the VEC representatives concerned for causing death by negligence under Section 304(A) of the Indian Penal Code.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry