Curfew remains in force in Kashmir Valley, ruling MLA injured

Curfew remains in force in Kashmir Valley, ruling MLA injured

Curfew remains in force in Kashmir Valley, ruling MLA injured
A ruling PDP MLA was injured in an attack by a stone pelting mob in Pulwama district in Kashmir where curfew remained in force today in view of clashes at some places even as newspapers failed to hit the stands for the third day.

Curfew was imposed in all 10 districts of the Valley to curb the clashes in the aftermath of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

"All 10 districts of Kashmir Valley continue to remain under curfew today as a precautionary measure for maintaining law and order," a police official said.

He said the decision to continue the curfew was taken to maintain law and order in view of clashes at some places in north Kashmir's Bandipora district and couple of places in the city yesterday.

He said the situation across the Valley so far is peaceful. "However, a stone pelting mob targeted the vehicle of PDP MLA from Pulwama last night, resulting in injuries to the lawmaker (Mohammad Khalil Band)," he said.

Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley for strict implementation of the prohibitory orders, the official said.

Although fewer incidents of clashes were reported yesterday, newspapers did not publish for the third straight day.

While mobile telephony, except BSNL mobiles, is suspended across Kashmir for the past eight days, the mobile Internet services have also been downed across the Valley.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed due to separatist sponsored strike. The schools and colleges, which were scheduled to reopen today after 17-day summer vacations, remained closed as government extended the holidays for one more week in view of the prevailing law and order situation.

Violent protests have rocked Kashmir since July 9 following killing of Burhan Wani and two of his associated in an encounter with security forces a day earlier in Kokernag area of Anantnag district.

In the ensuing clashes with security forces, 39 persons including a cop have been killed while nearly 3200 persons including 1500 security force personnel have been injured.

The separatists groups -- both factions of Hurriyat Conference and JKLF -- have been issuing strike calls, a practice reminiscent of 2010 summer agitation.

The separatists groups have extended the strike call till this evening.