Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar

Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar

Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar

Curfew was today lifted from most areas of Srinagar in view of the improving situation, even as normal life in the Valley remained affected for the 46th straight day due to restrictions and strike in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Curfew has been lifted from most areas of Srinagar district. However, it will remain in force in five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo, Maisuma and Kralkhud in the uptown, a police official said.

He said curfew was also in force in Anantnag town of south Kashmir.

The official said the restrictions on the movement of people in many areas of the Valley were lifted following improvement in the situation.

The authorities yesterday relaxed curfew for eight hours in the jurisdiction of 12 police stations in Srinagar from 9 AM and the relaxation period passed off peacefully, without any untoward incident.

Barring five incidents of stone-pelting, the situation in the Valley remained by and large peaceful throughout the day yesterday, the official said.

The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased movement of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre today.
However, the official said, restrictions on the assembly of four or more persons under Section 144 Crpc will continue to remain imposed in the entire Valley to maintain law and order.

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani's killing, has asked women to hold peaceful protests today.

65 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on July 9, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of Anantnag district.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 46th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads.The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected.

Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox