Two die in fresh violence in Kashmir

Two die in fresh violence in Kashmir

Valley on the boil: Death toll reaches 77 in over two-month turmoil

Two die in fresh violence in Kashmir

Ahead of Eid, two civilians were killed in fresh violence in Kashmir on Saturday, taking the death toll to 77, while more than 100 were injured.

A 25-year-old youth died after being hit on head by a tear gas shell during clashes in Tukroo village of Shopian district in south Kashmir. Scores of people were also injured during the clashes that broke out after security forces tried to foil a protest rally in Tukroo.

In a separate incident, a 23-year-old man died of pellet injuries in Batengoo village of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district. Medical Superintendent, District Hospital Anantnag, Dr Majeed Mehrab said, “The youth suffered pellet injuries in his chest and abdomen. He was declared dead on arrival.”

Reports said at least 12 other civilians were also injured during the clashes. The protesters set on fire a state-run school in Batengoo after the killing of the youth.

The mourners, who were marching with the body of the slain youth, alleged that forces fired tear gas shells at them. With these two killings, the overall death toll in the current unrest, which erupted after the killing of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani on July 8, has reached 77.

In Badragund village of Qazigund in south Kashmir, at least 12 people were injured in clashes with forces. Reports said the clashes erupted after forces vandalised the venue of a proposed protest rally.

Massive clashes also erupted in several areas of Srinagar and Budgam district, in which at least 20 people were injured.

In old city Srinagar, the family of a driver with the Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution Department, who died in a hospital on Friday night, claimed he was beaten by security personnel.

However, the police said the driver succumbed to injuries suffered in a road accident.
Divisional Commissioner Baseer Khan said there was no curfew anywhere in Kashmir on Saturday.  “However, restrictions were imposed in a few places in Srinagar,” he said.

A police spokesperson  said six incidents of stone pelting were reported from Anantnag, Kulgam, Sopore, Baramulla and Shopian. He confirmed the death of two protesters during clashes.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)