3,000-year-old sarcophagus back in Egypt

3,000-year-old sarcophagus back in Egypt

In this photo released by Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities is a 3,000-year-old wooden sarcophagus which was confiscated at Miami airport after being shipped from Barcelona in 2008. The brightly painted sarcophagus which dates back to the 21st Dynasty, which lasted from 1070 B.C. to 945 B.C was returned to Egypt on Saturday. AP

Hawass, who accompanied the casket home from the United States, told reporters negotiations to bring the ancient artifact home had taken a year and half.

"The sarcophagus dates back to the 21st dynasty (1081-931 BC), a period for which we have relatively few antiquities," Hawass said, highlighting the rarity of such a piece.
The coffin, which is painted with inscriptions to help its occupant in the afterlife, was handed over to Hawass during a ceremony at the National Geographic Society in Washington on Wednesday.

It will be the centrepiece of an exhibition at the Egyptian Museum from April 7, Hawass said.
Egypt had asked the United States to return the wooden casket which contains the remains of a man named Emus, about whom little is known.

US Immigration and Customs had confiscated the coffin from a Spanish merchant who had shipped it to Florida for sale, but who had no papers proving ownership, Hawass said last week. Egypt says it was originally smuggled out of the country in 1884.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)