Plymouth frustrate Reds; Chelsea score

Plymouth frustrate Reds; Chelsea score

Plymouth frustrate Reds; Chelsea score

 Fourth-tier Plymouth Argyle shut up shop and kept the door firmly closed to earn a superb 0-0 draw away to Liverpool's youngest ever starting XI in Sunday's FA Cup third round tie at Anfield.

Determined defending and unstinting effort kept the League Two team in the game against opponents lying second in the Premier League, almost 70 places above them.

Chelsea had no such trouble against third tier Peterborough United, winning 4-1 despite having John Terry sent off, and Middlesbrough also had a man dismissed but beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-0.

Argyle had only 23 percent of the possession, not managing a shot for 60 minutes and finally bringing a save from goalkeeper Loris Karius five minutes later. The home side, however, had few outstanding chances despite 28 attempts on goal.

Sheyi Ojo, 19, missed with a header from six metres out early on, 17-year-old Ben Woodburn was denied by goalkeeper Luke McCormick and when Divock Origi put the ball in the net he was adjudged to have fouled his marker.

Klopp waited until just over an hour had been played before making any substitutions. He sent on Daniel Sturridge for Emre Can and the England international immediately put a shot just wide.

Adam Lallana and Roberto Firmino then replaced Ovie Ejaria, 19, and Woodburn, who succeeded Michael Owen as the club's youngest goalscorer earlier this season.

Meanwhile, spanish international Pedro scored twice as Chelsea went through at home to Peterborough.

He gave them the lead after 18 minutes, which was extended by Belgian forward Michi Batshuayi and Willian.

Terry, making his first start since October, was then sent off for dragging down Lee Angol to prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity, but Pedro scored his second goal for the 10 men after Tom Nichols pulled one back.

Defender Daniel Ayala was the Middlesbrough miscreant at home to Championship side Wednesday, also receiving a straight red card. The Premier League team led 1-0 at that point after skipper Grant Leadbitter's direct free kick.

Alvaro Negredo scored a second following a goalkeeping error and Marten de Roon claimed the third in added time.

Earlier Fulham reached the fourth round with a 2-1 win away to Cardiff City in a meeting of two Championship (second tier) sides. The winning goal was bundled in by 16-year-old Ryan Sessegnon.

Spurs win

Tottenham  Hotspur made it six wins in a row by seeing off second-tier Aston Villa 2-0 at White Hart Lane.

 Ben Davies broke the deadlock with a glancing header in the 71st minute and Son Heung-Min added a second 10 minutes from time.

On Saturday, Arsenal were again indebted to Olivier Giroud after the Frenchman's 89th-minute strike secured a 2-1 victory at second-tier Preston North End.