HC declines interim order on plea for CBI probe into violence

HC declines interim order on plea for CBI probe into violence
Madras High Court today declined to pass any interim order on a petition which alleged police excesses during the crackdown on pro-jallikattu protesters on the Marina Beach here and sought a CBI probe. Justice R Mahadevan rejected the petitioner's contention that unless an interim order was passed, police would "destroy all evidences" and posted the matter for further hearing to January 30.

The petition was filed by B Kumar of Triplicane locality, abutting Marina Beach which witnessed violent incidents on January 23 when police started evicting the protesters who had been staging the agitation in support of jallikattu for six days. When the matter came up for hearing, petitioner's counsel K Balu submitted he had enough materials to "show the police excesses".

He said the petitioner had also made specific averments and allegations against the police personnel and sent a complaint to the Tamil Nadu Home Secretary and the Director General of Police yesterday. At this, the judge said the representation may have reached the officials only now and let them respond to it and that he would hear the matter on Monday.

Earlier, claiming that the police version that the violence was created by anti-social elements in the name of students and youth was not correct, the petitioner submitted he had information that it was police who instigated the violence. He alleged that police personnel set fire to an autoricksaw, damaged parked vehicles and entered some houses and ransacked articles and said he had evidence in support of his charges.

These "incidents show crystal clear" that the police personnel only created the violence, he claimed. The petitioner prayed to the court for seeking a report from the city Police Commissioner on the violent incidents and for a CBI Investigation. In a related matter, Justice Mahadevan closed petitions filed by two pro-jallikattu protesters seeking a direction to police not to harass them, observing that the protests have already ended.

The petitions were filed by G Pavendhan and Senthil Kumar on January 23, hours after the police launched the crackdown on protesters at the Marina Beach here.Justice Mahadevan in his oral orders on that day had directed the state DGP to ensure safety of public and pro-jallikattu protesters conducting their stir 'peacefully'. When the matter came up for hearing today, the Judge closed the petitions saying there was no point in keeping them pending as the protests were over.

Responding to allegations made by advocate Suresh that treatment was not given properly to persons injured in the violence, the Judge directed him to file a petition specifying the allegations. The judge further said that he had already instructed the state Advocate General to ensure proper treatment to the injured.
DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)