RTE admission portal opening delayed, parents upset

RTE admission portal opening delayed, parents upset

Parents are upset as the Department of Public Instruction has again postponed calling applications under the Right to Education (RTE) quota for 2017-18.

The Department of Public Instruction had earlier said that the admission portal would be thrown open by February15. However, sources in the education department confirmed that there could be further delay in the process.

Previously, the department had said that parents seeking admissions to unaided schools under RTE could access the portal between January 15 and February 15. This was postponed and Tanveer Sait, Minister for Primary Education had said that this would begin on February 15.

Parents have expressed apprehensions over the process beginning tomorrow. RTE activist Yogananada said that even as several promises had been made in the past about the dates, the department has failed to meet deadlines. “Parents were made to keep their Aadhaar cards ready as it is mandatory for admissions this year. Now, there is a delay from the department,” he added.

Ajay Seth, principal secretary, Department of Public Instruction said that the process would take another week. “Even last year, we began around the same time. There has been no delay. In the past, all verifications were manual. This led to several issues. Now, with the online verification, trial runs are being done,” he added.  

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)