Poll Buzz

Poll Buzz

Poll Buzz

Prof Ulfat Sultan seeks vote

»Oh ho salaam alaikkum sabhi ku. Mein Prof Ulfat Sultan. Seekho mere saathu Englis ke do baathu.

You might have laughed your heart out learning English with Ulfat Sultan of Sultan School of Speech on Radio One FM and wondered who RJ Rakesh who hosts the show is.

Well, you might find him in the new BBMP Council discussing and trying to solve the city’s problems. Rakesh, the city’s first ever RJ to contest the civic polls is presently busy doing door-to-door campaigning as an independent candidate from Jogupalya (ward 89).

Rakesh hosts the popular Prof Ulfat Sultan show on Radio One which he also scripts. And, you guessed right - the 27-year-old has chosen ‘radio’ as his symbol.

Rakesh decided to contest the polls to prove a point. “I want to prove that youth are capable enough to lead and set an example. Youth under 29 make 60 per cent of population of the country but still depend on the rest of the 40 per cent for one or the other reason,” he says.

An alumni of St Joseph’s College of Commerce, Rakesh says the response from the people have been overwhelming. Rakesh and his friends are planning to take out a silent march fom Ulsoor police station on Thursday wearing white T-shirt and white masks to create awareness on pollution.

This unmarried RJ has declared in his affidavit filed before the EC that he owns a house/apartment in Jogupalya. He is confident that candidates like him will help in making more people come out and vote, increasing voter turnout.

Real star

»As the BJP State President, K S Eshwarappa and Jaggesh embarked upon their campaign on Wednesday morning, crowds thronged to see the star. In Kodandarampura, Jaggesh was virtually hounded by schoolchildren running behind his motorcade. In Seshadripuram area, teenagers and elders alike were seen waving at Jaggesh and trying their best to garner his attention.

Considering the market value of Jaggesh, the announcer accompanying the two important personalities egged on everybody: “Come out of your homes. Filmstar Jaggesh has come to your doorstep. Give them your blessings and vote for our candidate, Prakash.” While Eshwarappa was mentioned in one or two places, the show was mostly run by Jaggesh.

HDK’s take on ‘criminals’

»JD(S) State President H D Kumaraswamy on Wednesday said he and his  party do not mind issuing tickets to candidates facing false criminal charges.

Speaking to reporters during the BBMP election campaign at Nandini Layout, he said there is a huge difference between an accused person and a criminal. “Neither my party nor myself is in favour of issuing tickets to criminals. However, there are innocent and poor people who are falsely implicated. There is no harm in allowing such people to contest the elections,” he stated.

It is unfortunate that nobody talks about criminals who are occupying the highest positions in public life. There are influential people who are directly involved in murders, but they have ensured that all evidences against them are destroyed, the former CM said.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox