4 youths die after inhaling toxic gas from generator

4 youths die after inhaling toxic gas from generator

Four persons who inhaled carbon monoxide produced by a generator in a shop in Lingsugur died late on Thursday night.

The deceased have been identified as Adappa Renukamma Madiga (20) of Lingsugur; Moula Ali Budensab (18), Manjunath Shivaraj (20) and Shashikumar Mahantesh (17) of Karadakal village. The condition of another man, Suresh Gaddeppa (22), is stated to be critical.

According to the police, six youths came to Lingsugur from Anehosuru village late on Thursday night after finishing their work. Five of them slept in the shop —  Chetan Sound System. There was no power at night and hence they started the generator to turn on the fan. They had downed the shutter of the shop.

In the early morning hours of Friday, Basavaraj Parappa Hadapad, one of the six youths who was sleeping outside the shop, lifted the shutter when a customer arrived. He found that Suresh Gaddeppa was gasping for breath. He immediately alerted the shop owner and all the five were shifted to the government hospital.

While the four were declared brought dead, Gaddeppa was shifted to Bagalkot hospital in a critical condition. Additional Superintendent of Police S B Patil and other senior police officers visited the spot.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Shiavasappa Hesarur said a generator produces two types of gases — carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas and may cause death. “Prima facie, it appears that the four died by inhaling carbon monoxide,” he said.
DH News Service