Food poisoning: boy dies, five others fall sick

Food poisoning: boy dies, five others fall sick

A three-year old boy died and five others, including a pregnant woman, fell sick after they reportedly consumed food containing tranquilliser tablets at Sadananda Shiva Yogashrama at Moolegadde in the taluk on Tuesday.

Police have arrested Rudresh, Rajshekhar and Kumar, residents of the village, in connection with the incident.

It is said that they had added tranquilliser tablets to sambar on Monday night. All the six, including the boy, Sujay, consumed food. He fell sick within a few hours.

Noticing this, the suspects took the boy and threw him into a tank. The body was found the next day morning.

Chaitra, who is pregnant and mother of Sujay, Gowramma (82), Mahadevi, a native of Athani in Belagavi district and Mudhol, a native of Bagalkot district and Shankaraiah Shastry of Sadashiva Shiva Yogashrama are undergoing treatment in the taluk general hospital.

The police suspected that the suspects did this to disrupt the coronation ceremony of the new seer of the ashram scheduled to be held from April 28 to 30.

Additional Superintendent of Police Muthuraj, tahasildar Chandrashekhar Naik and others visited the spot.
DH News Service