Worker who entered manhole in Whitefield dies

A labourer who had taken ill after entering a manhole in Whitefield on May 24, succumbed on Thursday.

The deceased is Prithviraj (24), a resident of K Mallasandra, Kasba hobli in Hoskote. Two others, Dinesh (23) and Raju (17), who also fell ill on the same day are being treated at a private hospital.

According to the police, Murali and Pradeep have the contract for cleaning the manhole at Jatti Dwarakamai apartment at Dodsworth Layout in Whitefield. They had employed Prithviraj, Dinesh and Raju.

On May 24, Dinesh entered the manhole around 5.30 pm and collapsed within seconds. Raju and Prithviraj pulled him out. He had inhaled poisonous gases like methane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide. Minutes later, as per the directions of the contractors, Dinesh and Prithviraj entered the manhole and soon fell unconscious. Sensing danger, the contractors fled the spot, said the police.

Some time later, Dinesh regained consciousness and raised an alarm. A few local residents rushed to the spot, pulled the two out and shifted the workers to the hospital. The police have launched a manhunt to find the contractors.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry