Pak plans wargame to counter Indian threat

“These exercises will be focused only on conventional war on (Pakistan’s) eastern border,” Maj Gen Muzammil Hussain, the Director General of Military Training, told a news briefing in Rawalpindi.

The exercise, codenamed Azm-e-Nau (New Resolve) 3, will involve close to 50,000 troops and aircraft of the Pakistan Air Force.

The wargame, to begin on April 10 and continue till May 13, will be the largest manoeuvres conducted by the army since the Zarb-e-Momin exercise in 1989. The wargame will be conducted in Punjab and Sindh provinces, which border India, officials said.

The upcoming exercise is of a conventional nature and “aimed at ensuring peace in the region by encountering threats through a strategic approach”, said chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas. He added that India had been informed about the manoeuvres.

The six-week field exercise will involve troops from all arms and services and aircraft and equipment of the Pakistan Air Force, he said.

A special feature of the exercise will be the use of technological achievements and advancement in intelligence- gathering, surveillance, reconnaissance and communication.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry