One detained in connection with cattle farmer's killing

One detained in connection with cattle farmer's killing

The Alwar police on Monday detained one person in connection with the death of 35-year-old Ummar Mohammad Khan. The bullet-riddled body of the cattle rearer, allegedly killed by cow vigilantes, was found on railway tracks in Alwar on November 11.

"We have detained one person in connection with Ummar's death. We are also trying to trace the person who accompanied Ummar," said Anil Beniwal, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Alwar (South).
An FIR has already been registered at Govindgarh police station under IPC sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) against unidentified people, based on a complaint lodged by Ummar's family.
Rajasthan Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria expressed hopes that the case would be cracked soon. "Strict action will be taken against the culprits, irrespective of their religion," he told media. Asked whether the situation was under control, he said, "How can we know about every situation even before it takes place? We don't have so much manpower to control situation at all places."
Ummar Khan's killing has triggered sharp reaction from social organisations. The Meo Muslim community blamed cow vigilantes for the attack, while political parties are treading a cautious line. Ummar's family and activists say that he was shot dead by cow vigilantes while he was ferrying cattle in a vehicle.
In April this year, Pehlu Khan, a 55-year-old, was lynched by suspected cow vigilantes in Alwar while he was transporting cattle.

'We are not smugglers'

Ummar's uncle Illiyas denied that he was a cow smuggler. "In our village, the cow is worshipped in every house. We are cow rearers, not smugglers," said Illiyas, a resident of Ghatmika village in Bharatpur district.

"I had never imagined that I would have to wait outside a mortuary like this," Illiyas teared up. He was waiting for doctors at the SMS Hospital in Jaipur to conduct the post-mortem of his nephew's body.
Ummar is survived by his wife and eight children. His eldest son is 15 years.
"We had lodged a complaint after Ummar went missing on Friday. On Sunday, we received a call from some people in Alwar about a body found by police," he said.
Illiyas also participated in a protest organised by social groups in Jaipur on Monday. One of the protesting groups, People's Union for Civil Liberties, alleged that Ummar was shot dead by the police. "Both the cow vigilantes and cops are involved in his killing. They dumped the body on the railway track to destroy evidence," said Kavita Shrivastava, general secretary of the group.