Techie ended life after engagement

Techie ended life after engagement

Techie ended life after engagement

The suicide of software engineer Geethanjali U took a new turn on Thursday as the police learnt that she got engaged on her birthday.

Police retrieved pictures of her engagement from her mobile phone, which was sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for testing and also found text messages from her friends congratulating her on the "double bonus" for getting engaged on her birthday on November 21. Geethanjali's response had been muted, as she replied "yes, yes."

Parents of Geethanjali (27), who fell to death from the ninth floor of the tech park in East Bengaluru, kept silent over her engagement, telling the police that they had no idea why the techie took the extreme step and had no one to suspect.

Police investigation revealed that Geethanjali was unhappy over her engagement, but complied with her parent's wishes to keep them happy. She gave no sign of her unhappiness and her parents assumed she was happy with the engagement.

Tried to convince mother

After arriving in Bengaluru on Wednesday, Geethanjali went to the terrace of the tech park housing her office and tried convincing her mother and aunt on a phone call about cancelling the engagement. She then jumped off the building. Geethanjali's mother and aunt did not tell the police about her last phone call.

Police are planning to interrogate Geethanjali's colleagues on Friday to find out if she was in a relationship with someone else and if that was the reason for her unhappiness over her engagement.

Marathahalli police sub-inspector Nagaraju said a case had been registered under unnatural death (Section 174 of the IPC), but in view of the new facts, the case has been upgraded to suspicious death under IPC Section 174.

An engineer with ADVA Optical Networking in Cessna Business Park near Kadubeesanahalli, Geethanjali died after falling from the office building on Wednesday.

The post-mortem was performed at Vydehi Hospital, after which it was handed over to the family at 12.30 pm. Geethanjali was cremated at Kudlu.