Govt not ruling out takeover of Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure project:Minister

Govt not ruling out takeover of Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure project:Minister

The Karnataka government is not ruling out taking over the Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) project, Law Minister T B Jayachandra said Thursday.

"A final decision will be taken in the next ten days after seeking the opinions of the advocate general and the government's special counsel in the Supreme Court," Jayachandra told reporters. "Taking over the project can't be ruled out," he categorically stated.  

Opposition BJP and JD(S) have demanded that the government takes over the project as per recommendations of a legislature committee report submitted last year. BMIC promoter Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise (NICE) has been accused of violating the framework agreement with the government while implementing the project.

"For example, the framework agreement stipulated 20,000 acres for the project, but 32,000 acres were notified," Jayachandra pointed out.

There are totally 54 cases pertaining to the BMIC project in the High Court and Supreme Court, he said. "The problem is that all recommendations of the committee report are stuck one way or the other in court. We have appointed special counsels at the High Court and Supreme Court," he said.

In the recently-concluded legislature session at Belagavi, JD(S) state president H D Kumaraswamy charged that NICE was given hundreds of acres of valuable land around Bengaluru in violation of the framework agreement. BJP MLA S R Vishwanath said NICE had sold land that was meant for the project.

"There's no question of the government being scared to act. In the event that we decide to takeover the project, it won't be necessary to go through arbitration," Jayachandra said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry