No change in RTE admission criteria, says minister

No change in RTE admission criteria, says minister

Primary and Secondary Education Minister Tanveer Sait on Tuesday ruled out any change in the admission criteria under the Right to Education (RTE) quota and said the calendar for the upcoming year was ready.

He was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a discussion on the future of education.

"There is no change in the RTE admission criteria. We will continue with the existing system. Action has been initiated against the BEO of Doddaballapur, who had issued a fake circular," the minister said.

The minister also responded to Kannada activists' demand for stricter punishment for schools not implementing Kannada as first or second language. "Some have said Rs 500 fine is not enough. But the penalty is aimed at identifying defaulters and highlighting the need for course correction," he said.

Asked about the integrated coaching in pre-university classes to prepare students for NEET and CET exams, Sait said there was no clarity on whether such a system should be introduced. "There are many opinions for and against the idea. One individual cannot decide what is good for the students. We will hold consultations with the stakeholders before taking a decision," he said.

The minister said the department had been writing to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) regarding the issue.

"Since the rule was introduced in 2015, we have written to CBSE and responded to their queries. There are hurdles in implementing the rule (making Kannada compulsory in schools), we will take necessary action," he said.

DH News Service

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)