Licence to play recorded music in pubs on the anvil

The city police may ask bars, restaurants and pubs to obtain a licence even if such outlets are playing recorded music.

The move comes after the Supreme Court allowed live bands, discotheques and cabaret dance only after obtaining permission from the police.

Police Commissioner T Suneel Kumar said that he had instructed all the deputy commissioners to send a list of pubs, bars and restaurants which play recorded music.

A notice will be sent to all these establishments to obtain a licence from the police. Licences will be issued after examining the application.

The apex court further observed in its January 25 order that the police commissioner of Bengaluru shall ensure that residents who live in the vicinity of such establishments are not affected.

Kumar said that it is mandatory for all establishments where liquor is served to obtain a licence even if they are playing recorded music. If a licene is not obtained, such establishments will be shut, he said.

Ashish Kothare, member, managing committee of the National Restaurant Association of India, and CEO of Crown Hospitality, said live bands and cabaret dances were stopped in Bengaluru a decade ago following strict rules but discotheques and dance bars are running without licences.

Colin Richard Timms, chairman, Pecos Hotels and Pubs, said apart from the excise department, we take licences from many departments and this will be an additional licence.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0