A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

Amid shutdown and restrictions, a tense situation prevailed in Kashmir on Monday, a day after 13 militants, four civilians and three army soldiers were killed in separate gun battles and subsequent clashes in southern Shopian and Anantnag districts on Sunday.

Separatists had called for a strike on Sunday and Monday against the killing of civilians and militants, while authorities imposed restrictions in volatile areas of Srinagar, Shopian, Pulwama and Anantnag and Kulgam districts to thwart protests.

The authorities also suspended mobile internet services in the Valley, a common government practice, aimed to calm tensions and prevent anti-India demonstrations from being organised.

Intra-Kashmir train services remained suspended due to apprehension of fresh violence.

All examinations scheduled on Monday were postponed by Kashmir University, Islamic University and Central University and Central University Kashmir.

Authorities had also ordered closure of all educational institutions in the Valley on Monday.

Officials said no incident of fresh violence was reported on Monday.

However, Shopian and the neighbouring districts of Pulwama, Kulgam and Anantnag remained on the edge as funeral prayers in absentia for slain militants and civilians were organised at several places in south Kashmir.

"The situation remained under control during the day as police and security forces were to maintain law and order," a police officer said and added restrictions under Section 144 of the CrPc were imposed in parts of Srinagar, Shopian and Kulgam districts.

While separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were put under house arrest, JKLF chief Yasin Malik was detained at Kothibagh police station in Srinagar.

Despite restrictions, reports of protests were received from several areas of Srinagar and south Kashmir.

At the city center in Lal Chowk here, a traders' body held a protest against the "killing spree" in Kashmir.

They demanded the government to take cognisance of the situation prevalent here and stop killings forthwith.

Later, the traders tried to take out a march towards the United Nations headquarters at Sonwar here.

However, a huge posse of government forces already deployed near Polo view prevented them from marching ahead. Many traders were also detained by police.

Students of Kashmir University also staged massive protests on the campus to oppose the varsity's decision to hold the 13th J&K Science Congress (2018) function despite Shopian civilian killings.

An eyewitness said the hostel boarders assembled outside the convocation complex of the varsity and staged pro-freedom slogans.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily