Painter dies inside well due to lack of oxygen

Painter dies inside well due to lack of oxygen

Painter dies inside well due to lack of oxygen

A 22-year-old painter was asphyxiated to death inside a 30-feet well,   which he was cleaning and painting in Kodigehalli on Monday.

The fire crew rescued the building owner, who descended into the well to save the painter and had fallen unconscious himself.

The police said Shailesh, a native of Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh, entered the well to clean the concrete rings covered with dirt and moss.

They suspect Shailesh fell unconscious due to the lack of oxygen deep inside the well.

He went down into the well using ropes, tied to a wooden log to sit on. He kept moving inside, from side to side, to clean the various layers of the well. When he got down below 25 feet, Shailesh fell unconscious.

The building owner Palani (55), who was standing at the mouth of the well and supervising Shailesh, watched the painter sway and fall unconscious into the water. He tied a plank to the rope and got down into the well to rescue Shailesh, but fainted and tumbled into the water.

Members of Palani's family hollered for help and one of their neighbours, Vinay, informed the fire department and the 108 ambulance service, both of whom rushed to the house in 7th A Cross in Bhadrappa Layout in 15 minutes.

The firemen donned face masks before dropping into the well and bringing the two men out. Both Shailesh and Palani were rushed to the Baptist Hospital, but the worker was declared brought dead at 1.15 pm.

Palani was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit, and the police said his condition is said to be critical.

The Kodigehalli police booked a case of criminal negligence causing death and booked Palani. They are waiting for him to recover and give a statement.


DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily