Lankan gets 80,000 from British newspapers

 Parameswaran Subramanyam, 29 will receive the amount from the Daily Mail and the Sun tabloids, his lawyer said. The newspapers will also pay his legal costs.

The two newspapers alleged that Subramanyam had secretly eaten burgers from McDonalds during his hunger strike.

Subramanyam became the public face of the 73-day Tamil protests in Westminster after he decided to go on fast in the hope of drawing the world’s attention to what was happening to his people in the final stages of Sri Lanka’s war against the LTTE.

He gave up his hunger strike on April 30 after the then foreign secretary, David Miliband, wrote him a letter explaining the “strenuous efforts” the government was making to bring about a ceasefire in Sri Lanka.

He then spent five days recovering in hospital. Justice Eady said Subramanyam had been “ostracised” by Tamils after the untrue stories were published because they believed he had “betrayed” them.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)