Build on your strenghts

Last Updated 06 March 2019, 19:00 IST
study abroad
study abroad

Dear Madam,

I am currently in the eighth semester of Electronics and Communication engineering. I have a CGPA of 6.5. I neither have work experience nor have I taken up any internship projects. But I wish to pursue MS in a foreign university, particularly in the US. I am not financially sound, which often puts down my confidence. Is it possible for me to get into a university abroad with such credentials? Please guide.


Dear AN,

You certainly are low on your confidence levels! Don’t sell yourself short! Prepare an interesting resume. Build on your positives and your strengths. There are plenty of good universities in the US that are waiting for fee-paying Indian students. It is not too late to do a couple of internships or a project. Start working on your personal statement highlighting your subject choice, area of specialisation and career goals. Take the GRE and TOEFL iBT exam. Visit www.ets.org to register for both these exams. A good GRE score is necessary for scholarships.

Dear Madam,

My daughter is doing a 10-month multimedia course after completing her degree in Media Communication. She is interested in Post-production & Editing and wants to pursue a Masters in it. Kindly suggest universities she can apply abroad, other than those in the US. We would also like to know the scholarships offered there. Is her
course certificate valid?


Dear Latha,

Many UK universities are known for courses in Communication and Media studies. They are all for a duration of one year, making it affordable. Scholarships are offered to students with good academic credentials. Her multimedia course certificate is valid and will be accepted by the universities we apply to. Her admission to the Master’s programme will depend largely on her marks in her Bachelor’s programme. She should write her IELTS academic test. This is mandatory for admissions to
UK universities.

Dear Madam,

I am pursuing my first-year PUC (Science). I am interested in doing Automobile Engineering in Germany. Provide information on the exams that I am supposed to take and the entry-level score needed for such universities. Also, I wish to know about academic expenses.


Dear Kunal,

For admissions to German Universities for Automobile Engineering, you must write the GRE and TOEFL iBT exam. A good GRE score would be around 327 and a good TOEFL score would be above 105. Expenditure in Germany will not be much considering most Public Universities offer their courses for free, or at a very nominal fee. You would have to arrange funds mainly for your living expenses. Although the courses are taught in English, I would also advise you to enrol for German language classes at the Goethe Institute or some other recognised language institute near you and learn German. If you take their exams (A1, A2, B1 and B2) and pass at least two levels, it will strengthen your resume and prove to the admission offices that you are genuinely interested in their country and not just going there because of free education.

Dear Madam,

I am studying in the seventh semester of Mechanical Engineering. I wish to pursue my Masters in Aerospace Engineering. My overall percentage is 65%. Could you please suggest some good universities abroad to do my Masters? I am more interested in practical learning and
looking for chances of
settling there.

Ratan P

Dear Ratan,

Embry Riddle and Arizona State University in the US, University of Limerick and University College Dublin in Ireland, Carleton University, Concordia University and Ryerson University in Canada are some of the options you could look at. Settling down in a country after your studies is easier in Canada and Ireland. Take the GRE and TOEFL iBT test.

Dear Madam,

I am a first-year BSc (Biotechnology) student. Do I need to take IELTS or TOEFL to study abroad even if I am from an ISC background?


Dear Khushboo,

Few universities in the UK accept your Class 12 ISC English scores if you have got more than 80% in the subject. For all other universities in every country, it is mandatory to write an English test.

This is also a requirement for your student visa. The UK accepts no other test than the IELTS. All other countries accept IELTS, TOEFL and PTE.

Dear Madam,

I am in second year PUC (PCMC), planning to do Computer Science Engineering in Singapore. Please let me know about admissions, exams to attend, good colleges and scholarship opportunities.


Dear Shachi,

Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS) are the best universities to pursue your Computer Science Engineering. Write SAT, Subject SAT in Math level 2 and one other subject like Physics. Although the university websites may say SAT is not compulsory, I would recommend you take the test. Universities like NUS and NTU offer up to 100% scholarship. There are many scholarships both within the university and those offered by external organisations for international students.

The Government of Singapore provides tuition subsidies which come in the form of tuition grants and are administered by the Ministry of Education and offered to all admitted students. International students who receive tuition grants will have to sign an agreement with the Ministry of Singapore and work in Singapore-based companies for a period of three years after their education.

(Published 06 March 2019, 18:49 IST)

Follow us on