In ancient Ayurvedic literature, brahmi and ashwagandha have been referred to as medhya rasayana, a drug used to improve memory and intellect. Here are the main benefits of these wondrous herbs:
Known as a mental tonic, brahmi leaves also resemble the shape of the brain. This therapeutic herb is known to balance both the left and right sides of the brain, stimulating the pineal gland. Let’s look at the benefits of this magic herb:
• It stimulates memory and improves cognitive ability.
• It helps in treating addictions and boosts hair growth in men.
• Brahmi aids in digestion and strengthens the overall metabolism of the human body.
• It relieves stress and anxiety. The presence of antioxidants in brahmi boosts immunity and enhances the dopamine levels in our body.
• Brahmi detoxifies the blood and encourages cell health.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen. Its primary benefit is to bring down the cortisol levels. Cortisol, like adrenaline, is a hormone produced when we engage in a fight-or-flight response to stress. Here are its many benefits:
• It restores hormonal balance and also treats thyroid ailments.
• It boosts energy levels, and when taken with brahmi, they are known to calm the mind and stimulate the vital functions of the body.
• It lowers cholesterol, fights insomnia, and promotes undisturbed sleep.
• A recent clinical trial studied the effects of ashwagandha on muscle mass and strength in young men involved in resistance training. It was found that ashwagandha increased muscle mass and strength.
Since both the herbs are fat-soluble, they are best consumed in fats like ghee or milk. These herbs are also available in the form of powder, capsules and ready-to-drink formats.
(The author is the founder of Sipwise Beverages)