2019 poll will decide children’s future: Modi

Addressing a rally here, Modi also claimed that it was just the "BJP-led NDA dispensation that could lead the nation towards light". AFP File photo

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday came down heavily on the Mahagatbandhan leaders and assailed those who were seeking votes in the name of caste.

He asserted that the six phases of polls, till now, indicated that the BJP-led NDA was coming back to power with a thumping majority. “Therefore, these 'maha-milawati log' (in reference to Mahagatbandhan leaders) are busy abusing me. The more they abuse me, the more lotus will bloom,” said Modi, while canvassing for Union Minister Ashwini Choubey in Buxar.

“The parliamentary polls of 2019 will decide the future of next generation children. Will you prefer a government being run by an honest person who, as Gujarat Chief Minister or as India’s Prime Minister, never faced any corruption charges or you want someone at the helm who is out on bail?” asked Modi, in an oblique reference to Opposition leaders.

Without taking names of Lalu Prasad or his family members, Modi wondered whether an MLA or MP ever got so much of a salary that he or she could become a crorepati in no time. “But look at me. Neither as CM nor as PM, I ever favoured or promoted any of my relatives. These 125 crore people are my family members. And my honesty/integrity gives me the strength to serve every citizen without any discrimination,” said Modi.

Later, Modi went to Sasaram where he campaigned for the outgoing BJP MP Chedi Paswan, who is pitted against Congress’ Meira Kumar. “The Congress party neither ever gave importance to leaders like Baba Saheb Ambedkar nor Babu Jagjiwan Ram,” Modi continued his diatribe against the main Opposition party.

Incidentally, Jagjiwan Ram, India’s former Deputy Prime Minister, represented Sasaram for eight terms since 1952, without ever losing an election. Having served under Nehru and Indira Gandhi, Jagjiwan Ram passed away in 1986. However, his daughter Meira Kumar became the first woman Speaker of the Lok Sabha when she won from Sasaram in 2009. She was, however, defeated in 2014 in Modi wave.

Narendra Modi or Rahul Gandhi? Who will win the battle royale of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019

Get real-time news updates, views and analysis on Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on Deccanherald.com/news/lok-sabha-elections-2019 

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram with #DHPoliticalTheatre for live updates on the Indian general elections 2019.

Comments (+)