Infant dies as NICU fills with smoke in fire mishap

Around 40 infants were saved by shifting them to nearby hospitals. However, a week-old infant from Bhatapara died in the mishap. (Image for representation)

A fire broke out in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS), Bilaspur on Tuesday, causing the death of an infant due to suffocation. Five infants are reported to be critical, while around 40 others had a narrow escape as they were promptly shifted to other private hospitals of the city.

Health Minister T S Singhdeo termed the incident unfortunate and ordered a five-member enquiry committee to probe the incident. He has assured financial assistance to the family of the deceased infant.

According to reports, the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the power panel and smoke spread upwards to the neonatal unit. The hospital staff swung into action and broke the glass partitions to allow the smoke to escape. The fire was also doused, averting a major mishap.

Around 40 infants were saved by shifting them to nearby hospitals. However, a week-old infant from Bhatapara died in the mishap.

 

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry

Comments:

Infant dies as NICU fills with smoke in fire mishap

0 comments

Write the first review for this !